Friday, August 12, 2011

Forebay Lake 2011...

I blogged about this hike years ago. At the time, we thought we made it all the way to Forebay Lake, but upon closer inspection (and a more recent edition of our hiking guide) we realized that we made it only to a smaller lake about half a mile or so from our actual destination.

The Forebay Lake hike is located nearby the Haviland Campground, so it is a very popular and well traveled trail. We saw several families, dogs and fishermen along the way, so I would recommend hiking this particular trail on a weekday to avoid the crowds. That said, it is relatively flat (you only gain about 250 feet) and follows a pretty well maintained four wheel drive road, so this is a great trip for large groups or families with smaller children. Or, in my case, knocked up women with overprotective husbands armed with heart rate monitors.

Roundtrip, the hike to Forebay is only about 3.5 miles, which took us just under two hours. Thanks to said heart rate monitor, I know that I burned just over 1200 calories. And that, my friends, was calories burned at my pre pregnancy weight. I might be forced to obey wimpy heart rate guidelines, but I'm still getting it done! Take that, Trevor!

Haskell was the undisputed "star" of this particular hike. He managed to flush out and swim after multiple ducks on multiple ponds along the way. The most embarrassing was on Forebay Lake itself, where he literately swam from one end of the lake to the other (no small feat) in front of several fishermen and families with small children. We apologized profusely for our dumb dog, but were told several times that everyone was just sitting back and "enjoying the show". And, no. Haskell didn't catch said duck. He didn't even get close. At one point, the duck even turned around and looked at Haskell as if to say, "Really? You think you can catch me?" It was pretty pathetic, and both Trevor and I were pretty sure we would have to swim out to rescue our exhausted canine from drowning. Luckily, the duck finally flew away and Haskell was lured to shore with the promise of a bite of granola bar.

That dog. I swear.

In other news, this happened to be the hike where I lost my footing, slipped and landed on my bum. I was already hunched down, so it isn't like I fell hard, fast or far, but Trevor COMPLETELY freaked out. Seriously. I've sat down harder than that, but Trevor all but ordered me back to the car. I, of course, reminded him that I was pregnant - not disabled - and would be exploring Forebay Lake before my return. He spent the rest of the trip whining that I was taking unnecessary risks, while I more or less ignored him completely.

So, yeah. That went well.

But enough from me about silly dogs and "well picked" battles. Here are some of the pictures from the day:

Sign along the trail...


Ducks.


Haskell chasing said ducks.


That spot in the middle of the lake is Haskell.


Love the colors in this photo.


Rest Stop (for Haskell after his long swim).
Also, the place where I "fell" according to Trevor.


Forebay Lake...


The hike back to the car with building clouds.

No comments: