Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Ya'll. It was awful.

The cracker box was nothing next to this.

Today was Banner's two month appointment at the pediatrician. He got an oral vaccine and three shots. One in his right leg and two in his left.

And just like I knew he would, Banner screamed like a banshee.

I made my mother go with me to the appointment because Trevor couldn't make it. She started crying when she saw me crying. Which, ironically, was before Banner even got stuck with the first needle.

It was just that Banner was so happy right before The Shots. All smiles and cooing up a storm on the table. He had no idea that the worst pain in his short, little two month life was about to happen. And then WHAM. Watching his face scrunch up in surprised agony just about killed me.

First REAL tears.

Seriously. I am tearing up now just thinking about it. It was THAT bad.

And Trevor, who wasn't there, is laughing at me crying recounting the story for this post.

(A$$hat.)

The only thing that could soothe my poor baby after the shots was milk. Only two months old and he is already learning to bury his problems in the bottom of a bottle.

It didn't get much better after the appointment. I don't think I will ever get used to Banner's I-am-in-pain cry. I've spent a significant percentage of this afternoon feeling incredibly helpless as my baby wailed like he was being tortured.

The funny thing, though, is that I ran into another new mom tonight at Fuzzy's. Her son was born on December 30th, and had his two month appointment earlier this week. We briefly bonded over the shot trauma next to the soda dispenser while I waited for my to-go order to be ready. Her advice? Baby Tylenol.

The doctor had mentioned this to me at the appointment and told me what the appropriate dose was for my kiddo. My mom and I couldn't find brand name Baby Tylenol at Babies R Us, so we got generic baby acetaminophen (beggars can't be choosers with a screaming baby on the line). Banner got his first dose around 6 PM this evening, and will most likely get another dose around bedtime tonight. My fingers are crossed that the poor little guy will be back to normal by morning.

(Oh, please let my baby feel better soon!)

In other news, Banner now weighs 12 pounds, 9 ounces and is 23 3/4 inches long. His head circumference is 40.4. This puts him in the 75 percentile for height and weight and the 65th for his noggin. The doctor was completely unphazed by the fact that the B-Man frequently eats 6+ ounces per feeding or that he occasionally projectile poops on our walls.

The good doctor DID, however, comment on how strong Banner is for his age and how well he holds his head up.

As Trevor would say: "That's my boy."

I am already dreading the four month appointment. I almost wish I didn't know Banner's vaccination schedule. It really is true that ignorance is bliss. Sigh...

1 comment:

This is my life so far said...

Awe I am sad he was so sad. But just know he won't remember it at all. It will be ok.