Thursday, October 03, 2013

Where I've been and what I've been doing...sort of

Y'all.  I am so tired.

I don't know what it is, really.  Granted, this time of the year is always hectic at work.  But I just feel like I'm running on fumes.  And it probably doesn't help that I spent the second half of September and the first part of October under the weather.  First with a sore throat and fever that resolved itself after three days of R&R, and then another sore throat a week later that just got worse and worse over the course of seven days until I discovered that I couldn't swallow (as in,  AT ALL).  So, I'm on the good drugs now to treat what the doctor described yesterday as "a very nastily infected throat and tonsils".  I'd go into more detail but every single word my Internist used to describe what he was seeing was exceptionally disgusting, so I'll spare you.  Sufficed to say, this has been the worst sore throat I've ever had, and I'm just glad that I'm on meds now that will allow me to swallow again soon. 

Ironically, though, the second sore throat came with no other symptoms.  No congestion.  No cough.  No fever.  I'm not even hoarse.  And, honestly, I don't even feel that bad...with the exception of the super painful throat, of course.  My doctor says it is possible that I have strep, but since he doesn't believe in strep tests, we'll never know for sure.  Whatever caused the infection, however, wasn't going away on its own.  So I guess it doesn't really matter at this point as long as I can swallow again, and Banner and Trevor don't get it.

(Also, I'm just glad I can still drink on this antibiotic, because Hil and Phil are making their annual pilgrimage to Dallas this weekend and we are going out for margaritas on Friday when their plane gets into Love Field.  Sometimes it is the little (frozen) things (with salt and a swirl of sangria) in life.  Especially after a looooooong week during fair time.)

Banner has been sick on and off, too.  It is like we can't catch a break...or enough sleep.  Oh, and it probably isn't helping anything that the museum was recently discovered to have a pretty major mold problem.  Which is fabulous considering I once had an allergist recommend I move to a more arid environment.  So, maybe the whole throat thing is some sort of bizarre allergic reaction?  It did feel like my throat was starting to close in on me.  But I'm probably just trying to make myself feel better because I so desperately want to be not contagious for Banner and Trevor's sake.  Strep is just a bad, bad five letter word when you have a kiddo, I swear.

Anyhoo, here are two absolutely random and for no reason tidbits that I always meant to blog about in detail, but never got around to mentioning.  And there is really no reason to mention them now, except I feel a compulsive need to for absolutely no reason whatsoever.  I apologize in advance because neither are exceptionally noteworthy.  Much like my blog in general.

  1. Apparently, I have a thing for British movies.  Especially flicks about seniors retiring.  I've recently subjected Trevor to Quartet (on my birthday), The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (possibly my new favorite movie) and Gosford Park. I am pretty sure Trev secretly enjoys them too even if nothing gets blown up and no one gets bitten by a zombie.  I really want to see A Room with a View, but I have a feeling that October - with all its Halloween-inspired movies and TV show premieres - will delay this indefinitely.  Still, I'm feeling very blessed.  After all, I got to choose THREE movies in the last TWO MONTHS.  Before Quartet, I hadn't gotten to pick a movie since Mother's Day 2012.  Most days, I'm surprised I know how to turn on the TV.

  2. The last couple of months have also been very trying as Trevor and I have grappled with whether or not we should move.  We would like to have another baby, God willing, someday, but don't live in the best of school districts.  But it isn't just that.  I don't really want to move to another house in this city.  I want to move to another state.  This isn't an immediate issue, but one that nags at us pretty often because we never intended to live in Dallas long term.  Granted, we both have family here, we were raised here.  Heck, we have jobs and a house here.  But...it is still Dallas.  We never intended to raise our children here.  I spent 10 years trying to escape from this city, and now my "temporary" move back has turned into nine years.  Not that I would change a thing, mind you.  Some pretty fabulous things have happened to me in this city.  Still, our lives are so much harder to pick up and move now than they were a decade ago (when my entire life conveniently fit into the back of my Montero). 

And just because I feel like I should end of a different note, Gypsy woke me up this morning by running over to my side of the bed and burping in my face.  It might have been more effective than coffee.  So, yeah.  There is that. 

Consider yourselves caught up on my life.  ;P

No comments: