Sunday, December 08, 2013

That whole half marathon thing...

Trevor and I were supposed to run the half marathon today, but - thanks to Winter Storm Cleon - we are spending our third day in a row indoors instead.  The Dallas Marathon peeps made the difficult decision to cancel on Friday afternoon based on the deteriorating forecast and icing.

My thoughts on the whole thing (not that anyone asked, but…well, you know):

  • First and foremost, I honestly think they made the right decision to cancel.  Conditions simply are not safe.  I wish they could have rescheduled, but I'm sure that would have been a logistical nightmare.  At least they are mailing us our shirts.

  • That said, it sort of sucks - after all that training - to not be able to run.  And I say that knowing full well when it comes to races like these, it is the journey not the destination…and, you know, all that crap.

  • I especially feel bad for Trevor.  This would have been my second half marathon, but Trevor's first.  Today should have been the day that he finally crossed that particular bucket list item off.

  • In a twisted way, I feel like I should have known better than to register in the first place.  It would have been my third time to run this particular race (2nd time running the half in addition to the 5-person marathon relay a bunch of us ran in 2010), and the weather has gotten progressively worse every time I've committed to it.  Third time is a charm, right?  Except, in this case, not.

  • On the other hand, I'm glad to not run because the roads are still awful.  We were sliding around last night on a Target run for Trevor's uncle (who hasn't had power since Friday), and again this morning when we ventured out to the mall for some food and shopping.  It wouldn't take much to twist an ankle, blow a tendon or fall and break something.  It is hard enough to run 13.1 miles without worrying about black ice, frozen bridges and streets that resemble skating rinks. 

  • We got to sleep in this morning, and watch 20 minutes of Finding Nemo with our favorite little mess all snuggled together in bed.  There is nothing better in this world.  Especially when the temps outside were hovering around 20 degrees.  Even without the ice, running in temps that low would have been absolutely miserable.

  • I've been nursing a foot injury (something is all screwy with the arch), and I haven't run since last Monday when Trev and I did a final 8 miles at the lake before tapering.  I'm hoping the extra days of rest have allowed it to heal.

  • Training with my husband has been pretty awesome.  I've been his pace pony.  We've done the bulk of our running at White Rock, and have been running both the 9 and 10.5 mile loops at least once a week during Banner's nap time on the weekend (thanks to everyone who has volunteered to sit on our couch and watch movies while the baby slept and we ran).  

  • Tomorrow, when we were supposed to be enjoying massages, we are going to run around the lake again together.  Because the next half in the area isn't until February or March, but there is a 15K on the 21st called the…wait for it, wait for it…Jog'r Egg Nog'r.  Yeah, already registered.  I'm excited to have a reason to continue running and a finish line on the horizon to cross.  Keep your fingers crossed for good weather.

Update:  Dallas ISD is closed again Monday, and tomorrow's high is only 36.  Tonight we are supposed to have freezing fog. Suddenly it looks like an indoor run on the treadmill is in our future instead of a trek around the lake.  :(

No comments: