Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Back on my soapbox...

"To a man whose mind is free there is something even more intolerable in the sufferings of animals than in the sufferings of man. For with the latter it is at least admitted that suffering is evil and that the man who causes it is a criminal. But thousands of animals are uselessly butchered every day without a shadow of remorse. If any man were to refer to it, he would be thought ridiculous. And that is the unpardonable crime."

- Romain Rolland, Nobel Prize 1915


Everyday on my way to work, I pass at least two stray animals. Some – like Haskell was – are hurt, others malnourished or starving.

Additionally, I see many more animals – especially dogs – with collars on that are allowed to roam the streets in their neighborhood freely. The males are clearly not neutered, and the females give birth regularly to a new litter of puppies.

In an effort to help, I’ve done all I can think of to do:

  • Called the SPCA – they do not have the resources to pick up stray animals and only have limited space (available by appointment only) to take in new dogs and cats every day/week.


  • Notified Dallas Animal Services - who promises to send an Animal Control Officer to the area in question sometime in a 28 day (four week) period. By then, many of the animals have moved on, died, been hit by cars, or have simply disappeared.

  • Picked up stray or abandoned animals and tried to foster and/or find permanent homes for them (i.e. Haskell, Carla, etc.). Or finding someone else who could (i.e. Toby, Bob, etc.).

  • Left food out for hungry or starving animals to ease their suffering.


  • Reported dead or dying animals to 311.


  • Donated money and resources (food, old towels/blankets, etc.) to the SPCA and other local animal groups and shelters.


  • Participated in walks to raise awareness about pet overpopulation, the benefits of spay/neuter, and to encourage the adoption of shelter and/or rescue animals.

While I feel as though I am making a difference in my own small way, I am more than aware that the problem is still spiraling out of control in many parts of Dallas. Pet overpopulation is on the rise, and thousands of dogs and cats are euthanized in shelters around the city every year. I believe that something needs to be done, or the issue will only continue to get worse.

Below is a letter that ran in the most recent issue of PAW PRESS (put out by the nonprofit organization PAWS IN THE CITY). Included is a link to an online petition in support of the recently proposed changes to the City of Dallas’ animal ordinances, which involves mandatory spaying/neutering of household pets and a formalized breeder registration. I believe it is a step in the right direction to help curb the high number of unwanted dogs and cats in the City.

Please take a second to read the letter below. I hope you will consider adding your name to the petition and/or passing this information along to others who may be interested in the subject.

HELP US PUT AN END TO COMPANION ANIMAL OVERPOPULATION


According to the book "One at a Time: A Week in an American Animal Shelter", an animal is put down every 9 seconds in a US shelter. If the City of Dallas made changes to its animal ordinances that reduced the number of animals being killed at taxpayer expense in our shelters, and improved public health and safety on our streets, would you support those changes?

We need your help. If you do nothing else, take a minute to sign our petition now at http://dallasanimaladvocates.wordpress.com/. ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED IS ON THIS SITE! To find out more before you sign, please read on.

The City of Dallas Animal Shelter Commission has recently proposed several changes to the City's animal ordinances, the most significant of which is Mandatory Spay/Neuter with Breeder Registration. Many people maintain that the decision to sterilize a pet should be left to the owner. Well, that approach has left Dallas facing a pet overpopulation crisis. Last year, 26,979 dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens were put down in City of Dallas shelters, while another 13,000+ strays or abandoned animals were found dead in the streets. Our city shelters are overcrowded and unable to keep up with the flow of animals abandoned or surrendered to Dallas Animal Services every day.

We have tried to address this issue with voluntary programs. We've educated people about the benefits of spay/neuter; we've offered free spay/neuter services; we've even tried to pay people to spay or neuter their pets.

Clearly these measures have not been enough. The rampant breeding cycle continues and the City of Dallas is forced to use its limited resources dealing with growing numbers of excess pets every year.

The issue is bigger than the huge number of animals dying, though that is unacceptable. Sanitation, public health and even the environment are impacted. Large numbers of stray animals defecate freely in the streets and raid garbage dumpsters for food. They can spread diseases and - as a result of abuse or because they're simply starving - may be aggressive, increasing the risk of injury to the public. Animals that die in the street or are put down in the shelters require transportation by the City's sanitation department - to the local landfill, where they become food for scavengers. Animals that have been put down retain enough sodium pentobarbital in their bodies to kill the wildlife that feed on them.

This is a problem that needs to be fixed, however we need your help urgently. Please let the City Council know that you support these proposed changes - fewer unwanted animals on our street and in our shelters will reduce risk to the public and save lives.

Here are some ways you can have an impact on this important issue:

(1) Get educated about the proposed changes and why they should be passed. Metroplex Animal Coalition and Companions For Life have joined together to create Dallas Animal Advocates, an online resource for information, statistics, talking points, links, updates, and more.

(2) Sign the petition we will be sending to the Mayor and the City Council - our goal is 10,000 signatures by mid-June, so please ask your friends and family to sign the petition as well.

(3) Write a letter to the Editor of the Dallas Morning News expressing your outrage at the existing situation and calling for change.

(4) Call, email or write to the Mayor and other Council Members, supporting the new ordinances. Complete contact information is available at Dallas Animal Advocates.

(5) Speak at City Council meetings to really get your point across.

(6) Visit our Dallas Animal Advocates blog - leave comments or forward on to a friend; link to it from your blog or website.

This is not the time to stand by and watch as our City continues to be overwhelmed by a growing deluge of unwanted pets - anyone who lives or works in Dallas can be part of the solution. Think you don't have time to take action? We challenge you to take less than one minute to sign the petition - every signature counts!

Thank you for your efforts on behalf of Dallas' animals!

Elaine Munch, President
Metroplex Animal Coalition

Lorrin Maughan
Companions for Life

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's very obvious that I'm not neutered either. Is Trevor neutered? Hi Trevor! GO BIG RED!!!!! GUNS UP!!!!! (HOOOOOOOOOT))

I totally agree we should be more responsible with our pets. In my mind we should have a license for animals. A regular license is for pets that are just pets and it's only restriction is that the animal has to be neutered to get the license. A "county" vet will do it for free. A breeders license for a pet will allow you to keep your animal's genitals in tact, but is much more expensive and you have to breed the pet within a year of getting the license.

I know it's all bureaucratic, but it does help us keep the population down by requiring spaying and neutering.

~Jef

Merideth said...

Hey Deals....little known fact about me. When I was 12 and 13 I worked many many hours at the Louisiana SPCA as a volunteer....we were called Care Cadets. Even now, I don't know how I managed to do it. It is SO difficult for me to go into a shelter now and see those dogs. Especially how they look at you with those eyes. I will spare you the gory details (and yes there are some gory details and I don't want to make both of us cry) but it was an amazing time, and I think it made me stronger. I only wish I knew then what I know now. I could have been a better advocate. I am definitely going to sign your petition, and thanks for providing it for us to sign. Keep taking care of those animals, you are making a remarkable difference in the life of an animal that may not ever have had anyone to love them but you. And now I am going to stop before I start weeping uncontrollably. ♥

Denise said...

This is a great post, Deals. The thought of those animals breaks my heart. It's why I'm so happy that I adopted my two dogs from the SPCA (they were both strays, and still underfed when I got them). I look at them sometimes and wonder what horrors they went through in their life before me, and I'm just so grateful I have been able to give them a good life since I adopted them.

Deals On Wheels said...

Thanks for your support, guys! I just hope that the new rules are adopted and something is done. The current regulations aren't enough to keep pet overpopulation under control, and it brings tears to my eyes to imagine all those poor lost souls in shelters - most waiting to die behind closed doors without ever knowing love or a full belly.

I can't imagine my life without Gypsy Kitty, Alley Cat and Haskell. They are wonderful additions to my family and household.

Gypsy Kitty is from the SPCA of Texas. She was surrendered by her first family, and was very, very sick and malnourished. At first we thought she had just a bad case of kennel cough, but about a week after I adopted her, the vet diagnosed Distemper. For nine months it was touch and go with Gypsy, but THANKFULLY she pulled through and is now a happy and healthy little girl.

Alley Cat was rescued by a Good Samaritan who found her tied to a tree with another dog without food or water. Both dogs were completely emaciated and close to death. You'd never know it by looking at Alley today, though. She’s just so excited to be alive and wiggles with appreciation every moment of every day.

I found Haskell on my way home from work one Friday. He had been hit by a car and was skinny, scared and in a lot of pain. Two years later, though, and he's fat, lazy and our little canine comic relief. Sometimes I think back to how close I came to NOT stopping to pick him up that evening (I was on my way to sushi with my family). I'm sure glad I did. I know I saved a life that day, and Haskell has made my life (and Gypsy’s) so much richer in return.

MUTTS RULE!

UrbanCritter said...

Hi Blinky - I wish the world was full of more people like you - who care and who take action on behalf of animals.

Thanks for publishing our Dallas Animal Advocates letter and a link to www.dallasanimaladvocates.org - so far we have almost 1900 signatures on our online petition calling for support of mandatory spay/neuter - we have just over a week to go before we present a package (including the petition) to the City Council, so the more people signing the better!!

Just a reminder, the petition is at http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/Dallas-Spay-Neuter

Thanks for all you do for animals!