Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Growing Pains...

On Monday night, Trevor and I returned to QUIKTRIP STADIUM for another evening of AIRHOGS baseball.

It was fun – especially since the Airhogs took an early lead against the El Paso Diablo’s. However, the game had to be delayed after the third inning because…well, the lights went out and wouldn't come back on. For over an hour, Trevor and I watched the between-inning entertainment staff run through every single game, promotion and give away that they could think of. I felt so bad for them! At one point towards the end, I even heard someone suggest over the loud speaker that everyone should go and check out the stadium’s state of the art bathrooms. Yes, it was THAT kind of bad (although, to be fair, I think she was specifically drawing our attention to the bathroom hand dryers. Which are – admittedly – very cool. I think they are made by Dyson, the same company that made my vacuum, and promise to dry your hands in twelve seconds or less. In a word: AWESOME).

Anyway, after running out of ideas on how best to entertain the crowd, the movie ROOKIE OF THE YEAR was put on the big screen in the outfield. Trevor and I watched about thirty minutes of the baseball flick before finally giving up and heading home (it was getting late and a “school night”). Of course, the second we drove away, the stadium lights came back on. Trevor and I have always been super lucky that way.

At least the Airhogs went on to win the game that night - even if I wasn’t there to watch it.

Oh, and I also got popcorn at the game, too, which is always a big plus if you are me (I’m a popcorn fanatic). Even better: I got it for free because the waitress from our section remembered how disappointed I had been on opening night when I learned that all the stadium concession stands were completely sold out of popcorny goodness. My box on Monday evening was made especially for me, and it didn’t arrive until the third inning. Apparently, the reason behind the lack of popcorn at the stadium in the past week is a direct result of the popcorn popping machine blowing the fuses of the ENTIRE concession stand every time it is turned on. So, imagine my shock and concern when the stadium lights went out within minutes of my special box of popcorn being delivered. Yeah, nothing quite like spending hours convinced that a box of popcorn somehow caused a blackout.

After getting home on Monday, I texted my City COUNTY connection (who scored us the seats) and jokingly inquired whether or not the City of Grand Prairie had paid their electric bill. And – once I learned that my “IN” over at the City COUNTY would be attending tonight’s game – I couldn’t resisting texting another message asking if the lights were on at the ballpark. Turns out, the lights WERE on. But that didn’t stop the sprinkler system from coming on all of a sudden in the middle of an inning.

Sigh…I chalk it all up to growing pains. After all, they haven’t technically been open a week yet.

Anyway, here are two more of my favorite things about Airhogs baseball:

The players who take the time to sign autographs for any kid that asks...

...AND...

...The absolutely adorable older couple that sits directly in front of us, comes to each and every game, and is always completely decked out from head to toe in Airhogs gear. How cute are they? I love them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh the joys of minor league baseball. Lubbock had a team for a while called The Crickets. Pizza Hut mounted this big old couch at the top of the 3rd base bleachers - the best seat in the house and gave the tickets away to a winner each night and gave them free pizza. They eventually folded, but those were fun games. RC car races around the infield, etc.

The Diablos used to be an affiliate in the Texas league. Amarillo was the Padre's minor league team. Both folded and joined the same league as Lubbock later on as the Amarillo Armadillos and the EP Diablos. It all comes back around.

~Jef

Lia said...

How cute! Diehard fans, huh?