Friday, May 16, 2008

UNFair Park...

Part of my job is to schedule private bus tours for various companies or visiting conferences. Generally speaking, I like doing this because the tours make money for my department, there isn’t a ton of work involved (I have the planning down to a fine art form), and I get to meet interesting people along the way.

Of course, there are always noticeable exceptions to this rule.

Take the following conversation for example:

[Phone Rings…]

Me: “Education. This is [Deals].”

Person in Question (PIQ for short): “Hi, [Deals]! This is [PIQ] with [blank, blank] Realtors. We have the private tour scheduled for May 15th?”

Me: “Oh, hi! How can I help you?”

PIQ: “I know we discussed the tour picking up and dropping off at Fair Park because of the abundant parking down there.”

Me: “Yes, Ma’am…”

PIQ: “Well, I’ve been talking to a bunch of the people that are going to be on the tour, and everyone is concerned about leaving their cars unattended down there.”

Me: “I don’t think you have anything to be worried about.”

PIQ: “But it’s such a bad part of town!”

Me: “Yes, but very little – if any – crime takes place in the physical park. But crime that occurs NEAR the park is reported as happening ‘at Fair Park’. Fair Park is gated and actually very secure. The mounted police officers are based on campus, and you always see them out with the horses patrolling the grounds. And there are also security personnel that drive in little golf carts all the time. I’ve never felt unsafe here.”

PIQ: “Well, I think the problem is that many of the realtors have nice cars, and they are worried what will happen to them while we are on the bus tour.”

Me: “I’ve been parking down here every day for almost four years, and I’ve never had a problem.”

PIQ: “But what do you drive?”

Me: “An Envoy.”

PIQ: “Well, you see, we have nice cars.”

Me: “Oh.”

PIQ: “Yes. They are very expensive, and I’m afraid they will be targeted.”

Me: “Well, our Director of Development drives a Lexus and she’s never had a problem either.”

PIQ: “What year is it?”

Me: “Does it matter?”

PIQ: “I think so. The older a car is the less it is worth.”

Me: “Uhmmm, okay.”

Needless to say, we didn’t end up meeting at Fair Park. We had the bus pick up and drop off at the realtor office, instead. And just for the record, I felt less secure leaving my “crappy” Envoy in their congested (and noticeably unattended) parking lot, than I ever have at Fair Park.

I swear, the nerve of some people! I am always amazed…

4 comments:

Mommy's World said...

Wow. People never cease to amaze me with their rudeness. It happens with patients at work. All the time. Also....I am still waiting to read your report on your 10 year high school reunion. :P

Anonymous said...

You should have had Trevor go to their parking lot while they were on tour and key all their cars. Then let the air out of their tires.

Elitist snobs ... ugghhh I swear.

~Jef

Lia said...

Gosh. Not that there is nothing valid about what he said, but really. There's a way to say things. Or - just don't give a reason and just demand a change of pick-up, but I don't suppose you would have liked that behavior better.

Deals On Wheels said...

I have no problem changing the point of pick up/drop off as it pertains to the bus. My only problem was with the reasoning behind the change. If they had said something along the lines of, "We don't want to drive to Fair Park in rush hour traffic," I would have been fine. Actually, they didn’t even have to give a reason. Just saying, “I’d rather the bus pick up here,” would have been fine by me. After all, they are paying a fairly substantial sum of money for the bus tour in the first place. I’m all about accommodating customers, and believe in the whole the-customer-is-always-right motto. However, insulting my car, where I work, and making assumptions about how nice (or not nice) my coworker’s car is/isn’t seems a bit much.