Saturday, May 31, 2008

It's all about the sushi...

“I was in yoga the other day. I was in full lotus position. My chakras were all aligned. My mind is cleared of all clatter and I'm looking out of my third eye and everything that I'm supposed to be doing. It's amazing what comes up, when you sit in that silence. 'Mama keeps whites bright like the sunlight, Mama's got the magic of Clorox 2.'”

- Ellen DeGeneres, Here And Now, 2003


All last week, I had a sore, scratchy throat and a mild headache. Not sure if it was allergies or if I had a touch of a mild cold.

Anyway, I didn’t feel that bad, so I participated in all of my usual activities – including yoga on Wednesday night. Everything was fine for most of the class, but towards the end I started to get a little dizzy. I tried to push through it (sound familiar?!), but the vertigo only got worse. Finally, I made the decision to sit down and spent the remainder of the class in waterfall pose against the back wall.

After the class was over, my mom, Trevor and I were in the process of rolling up our mats when Janie, our yoga instructor, walked over and asked if I was okay. I told her I was fine, and had just gotten a little overheated and dizzy.

Janie: “Are you pregnant?”

Me: “No. Nothing like that. I just haven’t been feeling well this week and I think I got a little dehydrated.”

My Mom: “Darn!”

Janie: “It sounds like someone wants to be a grandma!”

Me: “Mom!”

My Mom: “What? I mean, can you blame me?”

I’m so glad to know that my mother has (apparently) lost all hope that Trevor and I will ever get married, and is now secretly hoping for an out of wedlock pregnancy.

Sigh.

In other news, yoga class this morning went much, much better. I even – briefly – made it into crow. That is, until I lost my balance and face planted into my mat.

I think I’m going to skip yoga next week…

2 comments:

Denise said...

Whoa! That pose is impressive. Good job!

Anonymous said...

My mom used to hound me about having a grandchild. One day I said, "Listen I'll go down to the high school and pick some Vietnamese girl and get her pregnant. How's that?"

We never had that conversation again.

~Jef