Friday, July 29, 2011

Coming clean on Journey...

Okay, I am a terrible liar, and I must set the record straight. Even if it is embarrassing for me to do so.

I’ve been a fan of Journey for years, and if Trevor and I had a soundtrack, it would an album of their greatest hits. In fact, I’ve always considered Don’t Stop Believin’ to be our song if for no other reason that it reminds me of long road trips with Trevor in our 9+ year history.

(OMG. Trevor and I have almost been together a decade now. Weird.)

While I’ve always enjoyed Journey, I’ve never been to one of their concerts nor have I done much accept buy their albums and download their music over the years.

Yes. I am one of those fans.

So, imagine my surprise this morning when I discovered that the lead singer was from Manila. I’d always imagined him more like a cross between John Mellencamp and David Coverdale. But then again, I thought The Ting Tings were a group comprised of three Asian girls in Catholic schoolgirl uniforms. My mental imagery has always been a little faulty.

Anyway, I got to work this morning and happened to mention all this to my coworker, Nora, who promptly informed me that the lead singer of Journey is someone called “Steve Perry”. And this Steve fellow is definitely not from the Philippines. In fact, he’s from California. And, in Nora’s opinion, has a big nose.

!!!

Arnel Pineda, who DOES hail from Manila, has only been with Journey since 2007.

So, basically, I am the worst Journey fan ever. I only dropped names like “Steve Perry” and “Arnel Pineda” in my last post because I was so embarrassed by the conversation with my coworker that I decided to do some much needed research on the subject so I could pretend to be a REAL Journey fan. As if acting like I knew better on the internet would make up for being a complete idiot.

Meanwhile, Nora has been making fun of me all day.

I totally deserve it.

Although, to be fair, Arnel Pineda did sound a lot like Steve Perry on the Today Show stage this morning. Not that I am a Journey connoisseur or anything. Because, well…obviously not.

No comments: