Tuesday, December 09, 2008

High to Low...

Dude. It is cold outside.

I know, I know. “Cold” is a relative term down here in Texas. But consider the following:

  • Yesterday's high was 71 degrees. The low was 52.


  • Last night, we had a spring-like pattern of thunderstorms roll across the metroplex.


  • This morning’s temperature was 69 degrees. I wore a t-shirt and mesh shorts to the gym.


  • It is currently 6 PM and 32 degrees outside (feels like 25 with the wind chill).


  • Tonight, a wintery mix of sleet and snow flurries is expected as temperatures continue to plummet into the 20s.


I cannot even begin to describe how long it took me to get dressed this morning. Because, seriously, how do you dress for a day that begins in the mid sixties and ends below freezing?

I finally decided to bundle up in a wool turtleneck sweater and thick, winter-weight chinos. I felt like an overdressed idiot as I climbed into the car this morning, and it didn’t help that I had to turn on the AC on my way to work (lest I overheat).

Of course, on my way home, I felt underdressed and cursed my decision not to take my coat with me to work. The cold 22 mph wind is quite a shock to the system.

Haskell is dealing with the temperature change by refusing to go outside. No amount of coaxing on my part seems to make any difference. He’ll have to go out eventually, of course. But until then, Haskell is determined to hold it. Not that I blame him. It’s times like these that remind me how grateful I am for indoor plumbing.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Wow! I was about to say, oh yeah, 71 - we had like 15 yesterday, or something. But 20s is very cold for Texas! And sleet and snow, wow. You must almost feel like you're back up in Syracuse! :)

Also, I don't blame Haskell. That's too cold to go outside and pee! :D

Deals On Wheels said...

I know! And it is snowing. Like REALLY snowing! Snow is a novelty around here, so it is exciting when it happens.

I'm not sure if Haskell has ever seen snow (not that I can get him outside, but still). Definitely a weird weather day.

RR said...

I had to go let my parents' dog out yesterday, and it took quite a bit of persuading. Well, it didn't take much to persuade her to walk outside--she's a sheltie and likes really cool weather--but it took a lot to get her to *stay* outside long enough to go to the bathroom. She did not like that wind. She reminds me of Haskell sometimes; she got spooked once by a plastic bag blowing down the street. But at least she would actually step outside, so Haskell's still top dog in the "special dog" category.