Friday, December 12, 2008

And to think he used to be a street dog…


So, as previously mentioned, it got cold this week in Texas, and no one was more alarmed by the abrupt temperature change than Haskell.

On Tuesday night, the wuss refused to go outside. And, when Trevor finally forced him out the door, Haskell just stood there on the deck watching the snowflakes fall into his eyes, blinking a lot and looking put out. We couldn't even get him to pee without one of us accompanying him out to the yard, and standing there with him while he relieved himself on the closest potted plant or bush. I swear: that dog takes “pathetic” to a whole new level.

I knew I was still in trouble when I awoke on Wednesday morning to the local meteorologist announcing that the temperature was still hovering in the low 20s with a wind chill around 12 degrees. Still, I figured Haskell would be eager to go outside after breakfast to complete his morning business. And he was, too...until I opened the door and he suddenly changed his mind. I made an immediate move to grab him and force him out, but Haskell anticipated it and made a speedy retreat back to his bed in the guest room. He even let out a wimpy growl/squeak noise when I tried to drag him out of it five seconds later.

As a last resort, I tricked Haskell by getting out his favorite winter coat and putting it on him (Haskell LOVES clothes). He was so proud to be wearing his blue jacket that he didn’t seem to realize that he was outside until I closed the door behind him. Poor guy. He was totally duped.

If we ever move to Colorado, Haskell is screwed.

No comments: