Monday, December 15, 2008

The weather rollercoaster (or why everyone is getting sick)...

The weather in Texas is bipolar.

Yesterday, it was 79 degrees. We missed tying an all time high temperature by 1 degree.

Today was a completely different story. I awoke to temperatures in the low 30s and a bitterly cold wind. It is currently 26 degrees in Dallas (14 if take the wind chill into consideration), and we’ve had some issues with freezing drizzle this evening (as is evident by the sheet of ice now covering my back deck).

I saw very little humor in the ice situation until I witnessed both of my dogs run outside, slide across the deck – legs and paws frantically spinning in an effort to grip the slick surface - and fall off on to the grass. It was like watching a real life cartoon! True to form: Gypsy is now afraid of the deck and will only stand on it long enough to walk to the edge closest to the door and jump off.

Tomorrow, the temperature is supposed to rebound into the 50s, and it should be close to 70 by the weekend. But on Sunday, another cold front is scheduled to arrive, which will knock us right back down to the 20s and 30s.

Sigh. At least, it sort of feels like Christmas around here half of the time (when I'm not walking around the lake in mesh shorts and flip flops like I was yesterday, that is)...

No comments: