Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Tidbits...

Story Number One:

    This morning, I had my greater and lower saphenous vein in my right leg closed. This involves making a tiny incision around my ankle and running a catheter up the vein. Then, the vein is slowly burned closed with a laser. Pretty cool considering this procedure used to be done by literately ripping veins from the body.

    Anyway, I was awake for the procedure (although the two valium and the local anesthesia do make one a little loopy), and was surprised when I suddenly smelled something burning. This odor alarmed me – especially since I didn’t remember the smell from the first procedure last January. So, I asked the doctor about it:

    Me: “Um, is something burning? I smell something burning.”

    Doctor: “Oh, really?”

    Me: “Yeah. Don’t you? It is really strong. I can even taste it.”

    Doctor: “No, only you can smell it. It is very normal, though. As the laser is burning the vein closed, the ‘smell’ is being carried through your blood stream, which is why you can smell and taste it. But we can’t at all. Sometimes we might get a whiff when we remove the catheter at the end of the procedure, but not always. Out of curiosity, what does it smell and taste like?”

    Me: “I dunno. Kind of like a combination of garlic and exhaust.”

    Doctor: “Well, that’s a first! I don’t think anyone has ever described the smell as ‘garlicky’!”

Story Number Two:


    My grandmother, Moo, is in the hospital with a staph infection. Yesterday, we all went to have holiday communion with her, and today Mimi and I stopped by after my vein procedure to check on her. Both times we loved on her and gave her kisses.

    As we were pulling into my driveway (about 45 minutes after leaving Moo at the hospital), Mimi’s phone rang. It was one of my grandmother’s nurses calling to let us know that anyone visiting Moo needed to wear a mask and gown because her type of staph infection is highly contagious. A piece of information that would have been good to know, say, an hour and a half BEFORE we got it.

    Of course, staph lives on everyone all the time, and – generally speaking – only those with compromised immune systems come down with infections like the one my grandmother has. Most likely the risk is one of us exposing her to something else – not the other way around. But still. Not cool. Especially with all the reports on the news nowadays with young, healthy people coming down with invasive staph infections after manicures or a trip to the gym.

    Sigh. Poor Moo. Now will all look like alien doctors whenever we drop by to say “hi”.

    (Do say a little prayer for Moo if you get a chance, though. She’s 98 years old, and infections like these are never a good thing for someone her age. Plus, she’s probably going to have to spend Christmas in the hospital, which is never fun.

    Anyway, all thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated. She's a dear, sweet lady. Granted, I'm biased, but she's worth it. I promise.)

Story Number Three:

    Gypsy Kitty is afraid of my support hose. She keeps sniffing my leg nervously, and when I have to hike up the hose (which happens frequently) she runs from the room and watches from a safe distance 20 feet away.

Story Number Four:

    Chase keeps staring at me. And not in a friendly way.

Story Number Five:
    Yesterday, I had a chocolate craving that could not be satisfied. It was disgusting. To remedy this, I ended up watching TLC’s documentary on the world’s fattest man. For the rest of the afternoon I was convinced I was next, and vowed to never eat again.

    Of course, I promptly broke this promise at my mother's tamale dinner/holiday party last night…

Sorry, if this post is a little unorganized. I’m still a little woozy from the drugs this morning, and my first pain pill is WAY overdue.

2 comments:

RR said...

Poor Deals. :( I'm sorry you're having such a rough time lately.

This is my life so far said...

hey, how are you?? Would Chase be my brother who is staring at you??? hehe. Also, I am so sorry to read about Dolly in your other post, I texted Amy please let me know if there is anything I can do!
- Mandy