Monday, October 10, 2011

I get it. Everyone has problems.

The one consistency though out my first pregnancy is that it has been one of the loneliest, most confusing times of my life. And I am not saying that because I am being melodramatic or because I am having a bad day. In fact, today has been rather uneventful other than the Rangers' amazing extra inning walk off grand slam victory over the Tigers.

Speaking of which: That was awesome. I stayed on the elliptical machine for an hour after lifting because the game was so nail bitingly tense and stressful to watch. I didn't even notice as the minutes ticked by. The Rangers finally pulled it out in the 11th inning, which brought my cardio marathon to an end. All in all, I burned 1275 pre-pregnancy weight calories according to my heart rate monitor, which makes me feel a little less like the giant fat a$$ I've become over the past 7+ months.

(I've decided it is all about the small victories in the third trimester.)

So, see? It wasn't a bad day. If anything it was productive and exciting.

It is just that being pregnant at a time when none of your close friends are is isolating. I do not feel like I have anyone I can confide in, and it is all so overwhelming. In an effort to help sort things out, I've asked the advice of pretty much every person I can think of with small kids and babies. People have been so generous with their time and answers, so I really have nothing to complain about.

Still, I feel so alone. What I wouldn't give to have a close friend to go through this with. Or an older sister with kids of her own. Someone I could really talk to. Relate to. Trust.

Because I am scared.

Trevor has been great, but he is just as clueless as I am. We've been trying to be proactive, plan and make decisions, but that is so hard when you have absolutely no idea what you are doing.

I also have some really amazing girlfriends, but they are either not in this particular baby-making phase of life or they live halfway across the country.

Conversely, the friends I have in the area that DO have kids or are pregnant are wonderful people, but none of them I would classify as being necessarily close to me. They just aren't the kind of friend I'd call in tears because my boobs itch and won't stop or because I got overwhelmed trying to register at Babies R Us for the third time.

And I get that my first world pregnancy problems are pretty stupid in the grand scheme of things, and I will probably look back on all of this and roll my eyes that I ever thought THAT was a really issue. But then again, doesn't everyone need someone to talk things through with sometimes? I doubt I am the first or the last pregnant woman in history that needs a little extra reassurance before bringing another human being into the world.

I guess what I am saying is that I don't want to be a bother to anyone, but I am feeling a little lost, confused and afraid at the moment and I have no one to turn to. I just keep thinking that everyone else is has real problems, and, well, my boobs itch a lot and my back aches and who the f*ck really cares. And then I cry because that is what I do. But I don't let Trevor see because he'd just think I'm being silly and hormonal, and I don't want him to know that I am freaking out (again) and my heart is doing that thing (again) that makes him so nervous.

So, I stay up way too late writing a blog post about it all instead. It will solve nothing, but at least I might be able to sleep tonight.

And maybe tomorrow I will feel a little less overwhelmed and alone and things will get better.

Who knows: the Rangers might even manage a third win in a row against Detroit.

There is always hope, right?

5 comments:

This is my life so far said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I know it has to be soooo scary, but just think you are almost to the end! I know it has been hard at times and just think now when your close friends catch up with you, you will have so much advise to give them! I wish I could give you more advise than that, but alas, that is all I know right now.

Anonymous said...

I wuv you! And you're going to be a great mom & Trevor is going to be a great dad! I IS overwhelming at times, but just take it one day at a time... it will all be revealed to you ... I promise...
gp

JLR said...

You can call me or RR at any time about any of that stuff. We would be no help at all of course, but we'll listen and we'll sympathize. I would totally help you research on the Internet (or register at Babies R Us).

Anonymous said...

Give me your baby.

Merideth said...

HUGS ♥