Monday, January 26, 2009

If my head explodes, this is the reason why...

Dude.

Let me tell you about my morning so far. And, yes, it is only 10 AM. I have been at work for a little over an hour.

They are welding somewhere in the building, and the stench is overwhelming. This is really saying something since I’ve been sick for the past several days and still cannot breathe through my nose (much less smell). But I know the smell is bad because I can taste it. “Welding” is not a taste I would wish on anyone.

There is some giant machine in the downstairs gallery closest to my office. Not sure what it is doing, but my office walls are shaking. And the noise is comparable to a jackhammer in the office next door, but with more screeching.

But my FAVORITE is that all this keeps noise and smoke keeps setting off the freaking fire alarm despite the fact the construction workers have (apparently) taped over all the building’s smoke detectors. The d*mn thing keeps cycling on and off every so many minutes. Combine that with the stench/taste of welding and the loud, shaking/screeching office walls, and you have one museum educator on the fast track to a super migraine.

And I just had this conversation:

Coworker: “How can you concentrate?”

Me: “What? I can’t hear you!”

Coworker: “[Louder] How can you concentrate?!”

Me: “Do I want to take a coffee break?”

Coworker: “[Screaming] How can you concentrate with all this noise?”

Me: “Oh! Sorry! It is a little loud in here!”

Coworker: “Yeah, you think?!”

It is going to be a long day.

Quick Thought: Since the smoke detectors are covered and we’ve been told to ignore the fire alarm, what would happen if the welder actually sparked a real fire?

Shudder…

1 comment:

Lia said...

Wow, that's frightening. I'm thinking - no ventilation, no fire detection system, no way to hear an audible alarm over the jackhammers - yeah, real safe.

I hope they finish the work quickly, safely, and properly so it doesn't need to be redone.