Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Plant thieves beware!


Someone stole my red camellia today. It was on the driveway side of my front porch in a large, gray pot. I bought the camellia about three years ago, and it was the first plant at my new house to survive more than just a month or two. I’d never had much luck with outdoor plants previously, but this one thrived and grew tall.

Last year, it bloomed continuously for just over four months. The beautiful crimson flowers greeted me on the coldest of days, and brought a smile to my face.

The red camellia had just started to bloom again late last month.

And now it is gone.

Is it silly to mourn a plant? Because ever since I discovered it missing late this afternoon, I’ve been a tad bit teary-eyed. I fed it, watered it, watched it bloom and grow. And now only a circular stain remains where the pot used to be.

So sad.

So pointless.

I miss my plant.

6 comments:

Denise said...

I'm sorry someone stole your plant. :( Why in the world would someone do that? Sigh.

Deals On Wheels said...

I'd like to believe that it was because they were just so overcome by my plant's beauty that they had to make it their own. You know, kind of like the red rose in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST?

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Dude. I can't believe someone stole your PLANT. Watch out for neighbors. Steal it back.

Heather said...

Besides your trashy neighbors, who are the main suspects?

(And yes, I would totally be mourning it, too.)

RR said...

Oh, that's sad. What are they going to do, try to sell it? That's so mean.

Deals On Wheels said...

It is weird you all mentioned my neighbors because just a week or two they were complimenting me on it, and how fantastic it looked. Chase even mentioned that he used to work in landscaping, and that camellia's like mine (healthy, big, etc.) sold for $200-$300. Not sure if that is accurate or not, but all of a sudden the plant is gone. Coincidence?!