Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Penelope...

Meet Penelope.

Hi.

I won her at a Forth of July carnival at a local country club many (MANY!) years ago, and gave her to Moo.

Moo was the one who named her Penelope, and occasionally mocked her for having red hearts and a bow (which clashed with her pink fuzz).

Whenever I visited Moo, I made sure Penelope was close by. And when Moo got sick and had to go to the hospital, Dorothy, Moo’s caregiver, made sure Penelope went along, too.

Penelope was there on the bed when Moo died.

Tonight, after a swirly in the washing machine to kill any remaining staph, Penelope was returned to me.

Seeing her reminds me so much of my grandmother. Every time I glance in her direction, I find myself fighting back tears. I miss Moo so much.

I think Penelope will sleep with me tonight...

5 comments:

Denise said...

:( Penelope is very precious - I'm glad you have her to remind you of Moo.

Lia said...

Penelope looks like a wonderfully loyal friend. Hang on to her - definitely a keeper.

This is my life so far said...

hey I know it is hard, but am so glad you have Penelope close by to remember Moo. If you need to talk or just need a friend, as you know, I am always here for you.

Anonymous said...

I _love_ her gigantic ears--they're better than Dumbo!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the picture of Penelope!

XXX

DQ