Sunday, August 19, 2012

Yet another Banner day...

It was a good day.  In fact, the only way it could have been better was if we could have all seen the FABULOUS AUNTIE MIMI on her birthday!

We love you!!!

Since Mimi wasn't in town, we woke up, hung out and snuggled in bed as a family, ran errands (dropped dogs off at sitter's, made a quick pit stop at Babies R Us, got my brake light replaced, topped off gas tank), packed bags and played with the B-Man some more.

Banner even got an opportunity to try and stand on his own (I was secretly hoping he'd do it in honor of Mimi).  He isn't quite there yet.  He has the pull up thing down, but hasn't figured out how to get the message to his feet to press down.  Instead, his upper half pulls up while his bottom half swings back and forth like a pendulum.

I fear it won't be long, though.  The little dude is wicked determined.

He discovered cats (and their toys) at his grandmother's house.  I am pretty sure thinks felines are small, fluffy and very agile dogs.  He cried when Max jumped from the floor onto the bar stool.  I think it scared him.  And Banner's wails DEFINITELY scared Max.  I had no idea a cat's eyes could get so big!

 Of course, the cats were also busy discovering Banner.  And seizing the opportunity to nap in his car seat.

We had a "Goodbye Party" for Gran and scattered some of her ashes in Trevor's mom's backyard.  I am still sad Banner never had an opportunity to meet her.  She was a fabulous woman.

Banner also got to meet and take home one of Trevor's favorite childhood toys.  It is an old Pooh Bear pajama sack that Trevor used to carry everywhere.  The funny thing is that MY favorite childhood toy was also a pajama sack that my mother stuffed a pillow inside (because "Ginny" and I were/are inseparable so my mom figured it should look more like a toy and less like a bag).  And now Trevor's Pooh is back home with us, and is having another go at the childhood thing with the B-Man.  I thought it was adorable that Banner fell asleep on the ride home clutching Pooh in his car seat.

The day ended at the park near our house where Banner got to ride on a swing for the first time.  He was pretty exhausted by the time we got there, so it was difficult to tell if he really liked it or not.  He definitely didn't protest, however, and was content to let us push him back and forth for nearly thirty minutes.  I am loving these cooler temperatures.  And to think that it is still August in Texas!

While Little B was busy swinging, we met and spoke to another couple with a little boy about nine months older than Banner.  They just bought a house on the next block down from ours and will be moving in next month from North Carolina.  For some reason, it never occurred to Trevor or I to go to the park to meet other couples with young children.  Which, now that I think about it, seem obvious.  How fun would it be if Banner and Abe became friends and they only lived down the street from one another?

Tomorrow, if all goes according to plan, Banner will take off on his first airplane ride to Colorado.  We are all excited (and a little nervous).  At least we don't have to worry about other passengers if the Ban-Man does not take to kindly to the flying thing.  Still, it is daunting to do something new with the baby.

And I don't know what we would do if we were flying commercially.  How is it that someone so small can need so much?  I just know we are forgetting something (or two or ten things) important.  Sigh.  Live and learn, I suppose.  Live and learn.  At least they have stores in Durango!

No comments: