Sunday, September 11, 2011

Almost as good as the time we accidentally turned Jesus into a zombie...

Today in Sunday School we taught the kiddos about the book of Genesis and the creation of Adam and Eve.

We were at the part where Adam was tending to the garden before God created all the animals and had Adam name them:

Other teacher: "Would you like to garden alone or with other people?"

Elton (2nd grade boy): "I don't really like to garden period. I'm a boy."

Me: "You don't have to be a girl to like flowers."

Other teacher: "Yeah, plenty of men like to garden. Can anyone name an example?"

Trevor: "Hippies."

We also had a bizarre (and utterly random) conversation with the kids about men who wear skirts. I think we were trying to teach them about Scotland and kilts, which - now that I think about it - has absolutely nothing to do with Adam, Eve or the Garden of Eden.

We might be the worst Sunday School teachers on the face of the planet.

Anyway, the kids had never heard of men wearing skirts in Scotland or anywhere for that matter, so we tried to come up with other real world examples of men donning what the boys in attendance this morning might otherwise interpret as "girly clothes".

And this would be the point when I equated the robes the Dean of the Cathedral wears during church to a dress.

Other teacher: "Yeah, that's called a 'robe', [Deals]. Not a dress."

Oops.

So, just to recap: Adam was a hippie and men of the cloth are cross dressers.

Fan-tastic.

4 comments:

Rachel B said...

Way to break their gender stereotypes early. I hope this means Thor will be a cross-dressing hippie.

Phil, Hil, CJ, and pics. said...

I never had a burning desire to go to Sunday School, but you are making me seriously regret that decision.

Lia said...

I know I'm late to the party, and I know this isn't what you were going for. But still. I'm wondering which version of the Bible has Adam created before the animals. That's not how I remember learning the story.

But I think it's funny that you think ecclesiastic robes are dresses. I feel that way about judges' robes at least half the time. Don't they feel silly in those outfits?

Deals On Wheels said...

Genesis 2:4-25