Monday, September 05, 2011

We turned two!


It must have been a stroke of brilliance that led Trevor and I to get married over Labor Day weekend. Seriously. At the time, it was all about the date and numerology according to Deals. But the unintended side effect of a Labor Day weekend wedding is having a built in three day weekend every year for our anniversary. Accidental genius I tell you! What a good call!

It is also helpful to have your anniversary close to (if not on) a U.S. holiday, because it helps you remember that your anniversary is, in fact, coming up. Not that Trevor nor I were paying very much attention. Well, maybe Trevor was. I, for one, kept almost forgetting all week. I'm totally blaming Thor for stealing the blood supply that was so obviously intended for keeping my memory up and running. The little thief.

My favorite "oops, I forgot" moment was when I asked Trevor why he wasn't working on Monday (he works a lot of holidays), and he looked at me like I was a complete idiot. AND I STILL DIDN'T GET IT. It is never a good thing when your husband has to explain that he isn't working because it is your anniversary and he took the time off to be with you.

Pregnancy has turned me into a brainless a$$hat.

Anyway, the second anniversary is technically cotton. So, it makes complete sense that Trevor bought me a diaper bag from Coach and I bought him an electric razor. Hey, at least I BOUGHT him something this year. Last year I followed the whole first-anniversary-paper thing and presented my husband with a sappy, first anniversary card. And Trevor did THIS. Not that an electric razor is an over night stay at the Adolphus and dinner at the French Room, but I'd like to think that it was a step in the right direction.

(Yes, I do realize how that last sentence sounds. But in my defense it is a REALLY nice, top of the line electric razor. AND I let Trevor pick it out before ordering it on Amazon. Who says romance is dead?! And, hey, we traded socks to cover the whole cotton thing. Or we meant to, which is essentially the same thing considering I can't tell his athletic socks apart from mine half the time.)

The strangest part about this anniversary is knowing that this time next year we will have a *almost* nine month old. It never ceases to amaze to me how much life can change in a twelve month period.

I just hope I can find a reputable day care between now and next Labor Day weekend. Because being on multiple waiting lists for months is doing nothing for my sanity! They should tell all couples thinking about trying to conceive to call your daycare of choice NOW. Waiting until you are securely in your second trimester is basically making a public announcement that your really don't care about jumpstarting the education of your baby AT ALL.

No comments: