Thursday, September 15, 2011

Grammy Pammy doesn't sugar coating anything...

Had lunch and toured a couple of day care facilities with dear ole' Grammy Pammy today.

Don't know what it was, but something about spending time with me made her want to strike oh-holy terror into my little, pregnant heart.

It started out innocently enough. She asked if I planned to breastfeed. I told her I thought it would be a waste to go up seven (yes, SEVEN!) cup sizes and not breastfeed. So, yes. I plan to hook Thor up to the boobie upon his arrival into the world.

At which time she said something along the lines of, "I don't want to scare you, BUT..."

(Don't you just hate it when people preface something that way? Because you know that all they really want to do is terrify you when they make a statement like that. It is like being passive aggressive, but intentionally forgetting the whole "passive" part.)

(I braced myself.)

Grammy Pammy: "...you should start toughening up your nipples now. They get really raw when you breastfeed. There were times when it felt like blood was pouring out of my nipples instead of milk. It was really awful and painful and lasted FOREVER. I thought my nipples would never toughen up!"

And she wasn't done there. Oh, no, no. After that she wanted to talk about episiotomies. Apparently, two of her three children (myself included) required the procedure, which kept her from being able to sit or pee without searing pain for nearly two weeks post delivery.

!!!

Basically, my mother was really selling the whole having-a-baby thing this afternoon, and I was left reeling from the experience. Had she told me all this stuff before I got pregnant, she might not be just a few months away from (finally) realizing her dream of becoming a grandma.

Which, come to think of it, is probably why she waited until week 25 to spring these little gems on me.

Lord help me.

I'd say "I want my mommy", but - honestly - I'm afraid of what else she might tell me.

4 comments:

Rachel B said...

There's cream you can put on your nipples - I don't know if it's for pre or post lactation but it is supposed to help sooth the nipples for breast feeding. See, I do listen to my friends when they talk baby stuff! As for the episiotomies, I have no clue what that is and no helpful advice to offer.

Anonymous said...

If they think you need a episiotomy, take it. My friend did not get one and the end result was, lets say, not pretty. Ripping heals much slower than a pretty little cut. No worries, I have also had many friends deliver without either one of these situations. P.S. I love your mom for getting graphic with the birthing conversation.

Susie

Anonymous said...

I really had no sinister motives in discussing these issues... I breast fed 3 babies, so clearly, there were more good times than bad! Until she brought it up, I had completely forgotten about the episiotomy stuff. My advice about that is to wait and only get it if you absolutely need it...but, oh well. (My mother never really talked about this stuff, so I thought I was doing a good thing...gp

Deals On Wheels said...

Grammy Pammy: You DID do a good thing! It was just a little terrifying to hear about, that's all! I guess I was hoping you'd tell me labor and breast feeding was all kittens and cotton balls. Yes, that's right, I wanted you to LIE to me. It's all good, though. I love you for being honest.