Monday, September 19, 2011

An observation without merit...

I've mentioned before that (among other things like peas and watermelon) Thor has been craving almond butter.

I ran out last week and had to buy more. I was in a bit of a hurry, and the Whole Foods in Lakewood moved the nut butters for no reason that I can tell except to cause confusion and chaos among their nut butter regulars.

Another customer and I were linked briefly in our quest for almond butter. We both just kept staring at where the almond, cashew and peanut butter USED to be. Almost as if we stared long enough it would magically appear. Or maybe we just weren't looking hard enough.

It was a stressful few minutes.

We finally found the nut butters four or five rows over. But, by that time, I was really running behind, so I just grabbed the first jar of chunky almond butter I saw and made a beeline for the cashier.

It wasn't until I got home that I realized I had accidentally purchased raw almond butter.

At first, I wasn't too concerned. "Raw" is supposedly healthier, and the only ingredients in the jar are 100% organic almonds. I like almonds. It didn't seem like it was too far of a leap to assume I'd also like raw almond butter.

So the next morning I put some on my morning toast, and took a bite.

Y'all: Raw almond butter tastes like someone chewed a handful of almonds and spit them out into a jar.

Maybe this is something people sometimes look for in their almond butter. But me? Yeah, I'm now of the opinion that a little bit of salt and sugar mixed in with my almond butter isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Plus, once I thought of the raw almond butter as already-been-chewed, the thought of eating more of it kind of turns my stomach. Which is strange, because - again - I like almonds. And there is no actual proof that they were pre chewed. At least not by humans.

I'm blaming this one on Thor, and have plans to keep the jar of raw almond butter in my fridge until some point after my pregnancy is over. Because, who knows? I might like raw almond butter then. Until then, though? Yeah, it is nasty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kroger's "health food" aisle has really good almond and cashew butter. Tad pricey, but really good. You can make your own with a can or two of almonds and a blender. Just make sure you add some oil to it so it's not so sticky.

Deals On Wheels said...

My unborn child only craves the expensive things in life: dried papaya, almond butter, organic peas.

I'd consider making my own, but that sounds like a disaster in the making. I've never been known for my abilities in the kitchen, but recently I've become so clumsy and forgetful making something in a blender sounds like it might not end well for me OR the almonds.


Thanks for the tip about Kroger. Wonder if their almond butter is cheaper than Whole Foods? Hmmmm...